March 14: Campus Safety Update Posted on March 14th, 2011 by

March 14, 2011

To: Gustavus students, faculty, and staff
From: Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Jeff Stocco

I hope that you had a restful weekend.  Last Friday, I indicated that I would provide an update today on matters related to the two attempted sexual assaults that occurred on campus over the previous weekend.

Local police continue to investigate the incidents. This weekend, Campus Safety provided 354 rides through the SafeRides and individual escort programs. Safety whistles are now available at the offices of Residential Life, Dean of Students, and Campus Safety.

Physical Plant staff members have added a light on the east corner of the Carlson Administration Building, and a light next to the escort sign at Arbor View Apartments. These lights will be replaced by permanent pole fixtures when the frost is out of the ground. Staff also added a light next to the scoreboard at the north side of Lund Center and trimmed back trees in the Arboretum.

We committed to hold a community forum every day last week, and these were very helpful to us. We received a number of excellent ideas and suggestions for campus-wide education and discussion. With the help of students, faculty, and staff, I expect to move some of those ideas and conversations forward this week. While we do not plan forums for this week, we are committed to keeping the communication lines open. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

I will provide you with an update later this week or as new information becomes available. In the meantime, I encourage you to take advantage of the SafeRides program or to contact Campus Safety for a ride.  Please continue to be diligent and alert as you make your way across campus, and report any suspicious activity to Campus Safety or the St. Peter Police.

Thanks for your partnership in making Gustavus a safe place to learn and work.